Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Challenge #4 - Citrus - Blood Oranges

I finally finished my weekly challenge hosted by Jen Worden. It literally was a challenge, because I had a hard time figuring out what to do! I wasn't even sure I was going to do it! So I just sat down and started some place and that was drawing a picture of an orange. Then, I thought of doing another monoprint but bagged that idea. So I committed myself to carving out an image of an orange. After staring at the carved orange for a little while, I remembered doing paper casts with carved images and so that is where I went with this project. The background work was left over paper from the house journal project. I inked, painted, stamped, scratched, ripped, and machine stitched the heck out of it!
The paper oranges were colored in with markers when completely dried.
I tried to convey that feeling of a refreshing, bright, warm, summer day, but I failed miserably. My colors are dark and moody. I'm sorry to say, but I am emotionally stuck in this winter landscape!!

Friday, January 25, 2008

Assemblage - Winged Angel No.2

This is a second Angel assemblage piece in a series of many to come.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Challenge #3 - monoprint

This is Challenge #3 for weekly challenges hosted by Jen Worden. The challenge is to do a monoprint with acrylics or ink. I used water soluble relief black ink for the first layer of the print and then my second layer was done with red monoprint waterbase type paint. I soaked my paper in water before printing.
I used wet Q-Tips, bubble wrap, and plastic bag to achieve my image and textures on the first layer. The second layer, the paint was rolled onto the plate with a brayer. My plate was a sheet of acrylic.
I really enjoyed this challenge because it has been a long time since I've done a monoprint.

Totem - Assemblage

Teri is a friend of mine who is fantastic basket weaver, and she gave me some bark that she had harvested herself a few years back. I've had it for over a year and finally found some art I could use it in. This totem has the piece of harvested bark for the body. The main body is supported by a very large rusted bolt. The rest is assembled with rusted hardware pieces. It stands about 6.5" tall.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Challenge #2

This home journal was done as a challenge promoted by Jen Worden . She has decided to do weekly challenges for 2008 and has invited all to join in. Each weekly challenge is posted on her website every Friday.
I was really intrigued with the home journal project because I used to work in the construction industry as a designer for a number of years, so instead of working with a house on blue print, it was great to construct it 3-dimensionally.
It could even be taken a few steps further in creating a shrine box by adding a bottom and some legs. Additional reinforcing would be need to be worked out.
Anyway, thanks Jen for the invite and look forward to more challenges.

Exterior view of all four walls.

Interior view of all four walls.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Serenity - Assemblage

Had a spirt of energy after getting back from X-Mas Vacation. I was so glad to be back after having spent a total of 40 hours in airports this past holiday season trying to get to New Mexico. My kids thought it was an adventure and I would have to if our flight hadn't been cancelled in the middle of our travel!! Note to remember, DO NOT travel by plane in the Winter time on the holiday season through Chicago Airport!!!
Anyway, all safe and sound with much vigor to create! This assemblage was created using a wooden box and various types of hardware, glass beads, and polymer clay. I have been using liquid nails to adhere most of the objects. A friend didn't seem to care to much for E6000. His experience with it was that in warm weather it didn't seem adhere very well. I guess personal preference.