Sunday, June 13, 2010

Vacation Pics and Yard Sale Goodies!

I am back from a week vacation with my family on the coast of Michigan Lake. We were camping in an actual tent and sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags. Campfire everynight to toast marshmallows  

This is one of our favorite places to visit. It was a dream because there were few mosquitoes, very low humidity, and cool weather. I just hate camping in hot, humid weather!!!!!
There are plenty of trails to hike and bike. The kids were content with spending most of the time on the beach!!
The white sandy beaches are all natural! The weather was perfect except for one day of rain and that day was spent in Chicago. You can catch a commuter train close by the camp site into the city and it is about a 1.5 hour ride.  




Yard Sale Goodies



These a few small samples of some the goodies I found at a HUGE yardsale prior to leaving for our camping trip. My brother-in-law lives in Indianapolis and his neighborhood hosts this 2 day yardsale that includes 250+ families. They bring in food vendors and port-a-pots, so it is a big event for their area. It is one of my favorite events to attend every year!! My big find was this guy who guts these old homes and then sells everything he removes from these jobs. I mean he has a huge semi full of this stuff parked outside the house he sells at. Needless to say, I was in heaven!

8 comments:

Hopemore Studio said...

Carla, That is quite a load of good junk...it's no wonder you look forward to that sale all year.

The pictures from the beach are beautiful and peaceful. It's amazing to me that a lake can be so large it seems more like an ocean.

Angie

stregata said...

What a gorgeous beach! I remember the sand dunes of the beaches of the Great Lakes - so perfect!
And your yard sale goodies are just fabulous!!!!

mycuriousteaparty said...

Carla

These look like wonderful finds, I can't wait to see what you do with them all???

Your holiday photographs look amazing, wow! that sand, I have never seen a beach so beautiful.

I hope that my camping holiday next week along the Tamar River on the Devon Cornish boarder is as lovely. The marshmallows sounded good...

I hope that I find some treasure too.

Carla Trujillo said...

Angie - What is pictured is a small fraction of what I collected at the sale!
The kids do view the lake as an ocean and the white sands is the icing on the cake for them!!

Renate - It is amazing how beautiful beaches can be even when they are not near the ocean!

Are you curious about me - I'm pretty anxious to get started on creating something with the newly acquired junk!!
Enjoy your camping trip! Don't forget to place that roasted marchmallow between two graham crackers and a piece of chocolate!

Jen said...

I didn't realize that Lake Michigan had sand dunes like the ones on Lake Ontario. Cool!

I'm particularly envious of that box w/yellow containers in the second picture! What was/is it? And lucky you that you get such a great selection of goodies. Enjoy!

Carla Trujillo said...

Jen - A friend came over and we examined the box real well and found it to be a type of money holder. Kind of like a piggy bank. The slots in the small boxes inside the large box line up with the slots on the front cover, so different dominations of money could be stored seperately.

joven - Thanks!

Georgina said...

Just noticed you have become a member of my blog, Carla. First of all, thank you for joining and secondly, YOU'RE AWESOME!! Your work is incredible...I love the assemblages and all your stash from that garage sale. The garage sales around here stink, but once in a while, I'll find a diamond in the rough.

Again, thanks for coming over. I am an artist but not doing much right now, but when I get my groove back, then you can see some of crazy work.

Georgina

Carla Trujillo said...

Hey Georgina,

Thanks and I look forward to seeing some of your crazy work!