Thursday, September 13, 2007

Applique Beaded Shawl




I finally finished my Indian doll with the applique beaded shawl. It is my first applique beading and it took some time. I guess practice makes perfect. I love the whole process of beading but I wish I had more time to devote to it. The leather I used to bead on is imitation brain tan leather and is a lot lighter in color than the real thing. Plus it cost half the price. I purchased a hide of real brain tan over a year ago and I just now used it for the first time. When your paying over $100 for a hide, you want to make sure before you cut it!!!! Real brain tan leather is processed by hand and the actual brains of the animal is used. I don't know all that is involved but I do know that it is very labor intensive to do and that's the reason for the prices. When you bead or sew with real brain tan, the needle just slides right in like a butter knife into warm stick of butter. It's pretty amazing stuff to work with!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the top pic..very nice.....
Great miniature...

Berenguer Doll
free crochet patterns