Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Challenge #4 - Citrus - Blood Oranges


I finally finished my weekly challenge hosted by Jen Worden. It literally was a challenge, because I had a hard time figuring out what to do! I wasn't even sure I was going to do it! So I just sat down and started some place and that was drawing a picture of an orange. Then, I thought of doing another monoprint but bagged that idea. So I committed myself to carving out an image of an orange. After staring at the carved orange for a little while, I remembered doing paper casts with carved images and so that is where I went with this project. The background work was left over paper from the house journal project. I inked, painted, stamped, scratched, ripped, and machine stitched the heck out of it!
The paper oranges were colored in with markers when completely dried.
I tried to convey that feeling of a refreshing, bright, warm, summer day, but I failed miserably. My colors are dark and moody. I'm sorry to say, but I am emotionally stuck in this winter landscape!!

4 comments:

Cody Goodin said...

First of all I think your interpretation is brilliant. Secondly, it reminds me of a jungle dark and lush. I think that could be more tropical than summer, but still warm.

Jen said...

I think it ROCKS Carla. Moody is what living in the dark north is all about right now. Awesome! Would you consider doing a guest challenge sometime with paper casting??

cat said...

Cody,
Thanks for the positive note on the interpretation!


Jen,
Thanks!

b'oki. said...

Very nice piece. Nice colors!
Love the paper casting, too.

Bette.
b
http://b_oki.livejournal.com