Monday, May 17, 2010

Spare Parts Monday

I finally had a chance to clean up the studio this past weekend, so locating parts for Monday posting was a bit easier to do. I was struggling in try to find a way to attach the arms to the body. Wire was my first attempt and I settled on raffia. The wire body is a corn feeder holder thingy that is used to hold the corn while the squirrels feast. The upper torso is a scrap piece of wood from a friend who is a woodworker and is constantly working with the lathe. A lathe is a machine where you attach a piece of wood and the machine turns it very fast. As it it is turning, you are carefully carving into it creating things such as table legs, bowls, lamps...etc. Well my friend throws all these scraps away that turned out to be mistakes, so I started raiding his dumpster and what a treasure going through it all.   

4 comments:

studioJudith said...

Great dumpster friend !
Love the simplicity of
her spiral base and the contrast
of the metal and the raffia.

Jjj

Carla Trujillo said...

Thanks Judith!! Love having dumpster friends!!

stregata said...

Gotta love a friend that has such great loot for you to pick and choose!!!

Carla Trujillo said...

Renate - I feel blessed to have such a dumpster friend!