Sunday, July 26, 2009

Watercolor Monoprinting

I had a playdate with a couple of artists yesterday and had a great time. My friend Marilyn invited me over to work on watercolor monoprints for a good part of the afternoon. It's wonderful to work with a printmaking medium that is non-toxic and relatively easy to learn. It's mastering the technique that is the challenge. I had not worked with this type of printmaking since the last time she had me over, which was about 3-4 months ago.
The two plates in the pic above have many layers of color, and I started off with darker colors and ended with light colors.


Wasn't to pleased with this print, but I learned a little more about markings and color applications.


I had achieved crackling effects with this plate which really added some interesting textures and depth.



Marilyn has such an eye for vibrant beautiful colors and her prints turn out just beautiful.



This plate was done by Rhonda, who is fellow watercolorist like Marilyn.



1 comment:

RH Carpenter said...

Carla, your second plate was so successful - such depth and interest. I've changed mine completely from the print I ended up with - I really wasn't satisfied at all with it (so much so that I left Marilyn's with the beginnings of a migraine!).
---Rhonda