Friday, April 15, 2011

When Your Muse Goes Dormant!

Eos, by Evelyn De Morgan

As artists, we have our ups and downs in regards to our creativity. But, what do you do when your in the down cycle of creativity and you can't seem to rebound. Your muse has gone dormant and no matter how you try, she just refuses to awaken. What do you do? Thank God I haven't been to that point in my life and hope I never have to face that situation, but a fellow artist and friend is there and has decided to move on with her life without art. At first I couldn't believe what I was reading, because I just couldn't imagine not creating art. Her work is raw and very powerful, and to have such a talent come to complete halt! 
I know that she needs to move on with her life and the decision to take art out of the equation had to have been a very difficult one.
Her art will be missed, but not forgotten! Much success in her new journey and I will secretly be praying that her muse will awaken one day and she'll be creating art even more powerful and raw than ever before.
Once an artist, always an artist!!

7 comments:

Cody Goodin said...

I know this feeling all too well myself. For I am in the throngs of a muses vacation. I can't seem to motivate myself either. Like your friend, I too contemplated giving up art. But, before I throw in the towel, I am taking a three day sculpting class in hopes that may help.

stregata said...

I cannot imagine a muse going dormant permanently - maybe a shift in direction, that one is struggling against, because it does not seem to fit... I think, sometimes the muse just wants to create for creativities sake, without it having to be 'high' art...

Folk Heart said...

I can totally relate to your friend. As a life long prolific artist, imagine my chagrin when my muse slowly started inching away from me. Her departure was slow and painful, and she was gone for THREE years! Suddenly, one night, she broke into our house, and when I woke up in the morning, there she was...in all her glory ! There aren't enough hours in the day now for me to keep up with her. My point is, please tell your friend that this is not permanent and she should not to throw away any of her art supplies. She'll need all that stuff before she knows it!

lynda Howells said...

I also know the feeling of my muse going missing. In fact she goes on a "walkabout" quite often BUT l don't panic now..l go and read or something else and wait for her to come home again. I wonder why we call our muse a "Her" why not a "he" ? Anyway, the only time my house is tidy is when my muse goes missing, much to the joy of my husband. I promise l am taking this seriously but if l take it TOO seriously l would crack. I would NEVER give up my Art because my Art is me..if you see what l mean!xx One other thing..if my Muse is not around l will often just doodle or scribble just to help her along abit until she comes backxx
I work as a counsellor and have often helped other Artists find themselves or their Art again, so l do understandxxlynda

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Oh, I feel for your friend. This must have been such a hard decision. I hope that while she moves forward with her art, her muse gently taps her on the shoulder & reappears.

carol l mckenna said...

There is a saying that helps me as an artist 'When fishermen can not go to sea ~ they mend their nets.' ~ Hoping your friend comes back to her art ~ her soul may bring her back ^_^

PS ~ Saw your art on Mrs Dolmaker's blog ^_^

Carla Trujillo said...

Cody - Hang in there and I hope things work out!

Renate - I agree!

Folk Heart - Wow! Three years seems like a life time!! I'm glad to hear that she made a come back better than ever!

Lynda - I can relate to the house in absence of the muse!

Craftymoose Crafts - She is too gifted to not have it come back into her life!

ArtMuse Dog and Carol - Hopefully with time! Thanks for stopping by!