Friday, February 12, 2010

Assemblage - Venerable


Finished this piece up a few days ago and I had a hard time figuring out how to put her together and so she sat for a while. Her brass breast plate of vines and grapes came from a junk sale at my kids school last year. The dark tin that encompasses the main trunk of her body is a section of an eye glass case that has been darkened by placing it in a fire for several minutes. The heat from the fire changes the color of the metal.
My favorite part is the black hinge at the top, which is used to help support the piece. The door hinge is from the kids school. They did a major renovation last year and we helped to tear down the old cabinets and salvaged these old hinges, which I now use in my assemblage work.

1 comment:

stregata said...

Oh, I really like this one, Carla!!! Love the eye glasses case and the brass piece!!